Bags are packed and wheels are up! We’re jetting to Argentina!
Passport? Check! Headphones? Check! Eye mask? Check! Below are my favorite essentials to help overnight flights become more enJOYable:
- Get cozy! Airlines often offer a thin, felt blanket and sometimes a disposable eye mask; however, these blankets tend to be used and from what I’ve read, not something I wish to cuddle with! I prefer to pack my own blanket & eye mask! Lululemon has the best multi-purpose scarves (often in stock during the colder months), and it perfectly unsnaps into a small blanket that is ideal for a flight!
- Entertainment! Don’t forget to pack entertainment for your flight. I always have a good book, my laptop, headphones, and in my case, needlepointing. Yes, I channel my inner 90-year-old self, and L O V E to needlepoint, and a lengthy flight is the perfect time to catch up as I rarely have time to do at home. If you’re not into needlepointing, a deck of cards, sudoku, or crossword puzzles are a few more ideas.
- Journal! I promise you won’t regret journaling throughout your travels, and a long flight is the perfect time to reminisce about your getaway!
- A snack! There is nothing worse than getting hungry on a flight and only having pretzels or peanuts to tide you over. For overnight flights, I like to pack a homemade snack that I don’t feel guilty about indulging in! Granola is one of our favorites as it is super simple to make and lasts for weeks in an air-tight container.
- Antibacterial towelettes–I never leave home without them! As soon as I am seated, I always wipe down the tray table, head & arm rest, and basically anything around me. Perhaps it’s a mental thing, but I feel so much better knowing that my surroundings are clean-er.
- Tide-To Go! stick. I am clumsy. Accidents happen. Tide sticks are the perfect solution to removing the Coke stain on your shirt.
- Meds! From sleep aids to Advil, whatever’s your jam, don’t forget to include this in your carry-on!
- Hygiene is still important–especially on an overnight flight! I always pack a disposable toothbrush & toothpaste (and often purchase the savvy kid’s size as they tend to be a bit smaller), facial cleansing towelettes, & travel size deodorant.
- Hydrate, Hydrate, Hydrate! Hydration is key to any flight, so make sure you’re drinking plenty of H2O! I also always include a small bottle of lotion, Aquaphor (perfect for elbows or scabs trying to heal), & lip balm.
- What to wear? I like to layer up, and always have a cozy pair of socks and a cashmere sweater. Also, avoid white. Although I love nothing more than my white jeans, it is inevitable that I will spill something that a handful of Tide sticks couldn’t remove! A change of clothes is also a good idea. You feel so refreshed, and in the event of the airline “misplacing” your luggage, you will have an extra pair of clothes to run around in until you reach 5th Avenue or when your luggage arrives.